blog counter

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book Recommendation: Devil in the White City



You absolutely must read this book! It is a story about Chicago in the late 1800's. The World's Fair, a serial killer, amazing innovations every week - What more could you want? It reads like a novel, but the best part is that it all actually happened. (I guess it would be better if the serial killer part was fiction... but it does make it more, um, interesting that he was right there in Chicago, chillin' in his custom-built torture palace and walking the same streets that I did when I lived there.)

This is the best book I have read in a while. I often find myself telling friends interesting tidbits of history from it (well I think they're interesting anyway), or bumping into references to the famous names or places I read about. For example, when Kyle and I went on our architecture tour we stopped by a building designed by two of the main characters. And during my trip to the Conservatory of Flowers I noticed a historical timeline that mentioned Frederick Law Olmsted, another one of the characters.


The Rookery


The Rookery Interior - recently renovated to restore Frank Lloyd Wright's previous renovation design.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: